Cleaning up the home after the holidays is as time consuming as creating and putting up holiday decorations. The task is even more challenging as we determine the best way to store them properly.
When the holiday frolic has gone and the decorations are put away, the house seems to feel a little empty. This is the best time to reclaim your home and time to look ahead to a clean and organized New Year.
For most of us, New Year means new life; a new beginning. And what could be a better way of welcoming your new life than a clutter-free and newly embellished home? Here are some ideas on how to brighten up your home at no cost or minimal cost. You will be pleasantly surprised at how your home will look like after the makeover.
- Unclutter and De-clutter – The first task to be undertaken is to remove and organize the decorations and store them properly. Next, take out unneeded furniture, decorations, pictures, etc. Take the room in its most basic form opening up the living space as much as possible. After which, you can arrange the room the way you want it to look without having to work around clutter.
- Lighting – Great lighting is one of the things that make a home look warm and welcoming. An abundance of light opens up a room and gives it a larger appearance. You may simply want to increase the light bulb wattage in your lamps then add a dimmer to adjust the level of brightness. In addition, open the curtains and adding a mirror will make the room appear larger.
- Accessorize – When designing a room, try to make each room tell a story. A clever arrangement of props and accessories will make the room eye-pleasing. Don’t forget to dress up windows for both form and function. Also, think in threes, odd numbers create tension that provides visual interest.
- Use Color Creatively – Painting is the most inexpensive and easiest way to give your home a new look. You can also add embellishments like pillows and curtains.
- Bring the Outdoors In – Warm and inviting homes are almost always graced with fresh flowers. You don’t have to spend money on this, you can get the same effect by harvesting flowers from your garden.
The beginning of a new year is the best time to start anew. Start with a plan in mind to strip your house of the old and freshen it up. You’ll be amazed at what you’ll be able to achieve.